Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Needle in a haystack?

Oh to be bilingual, Singaporean or a PR!... I wonder if even then, job hunting would be any easier? Finding a job here is like trying to find a needle in a haystack!

A giant, discriminatory haystack!

I NEVER thought I would be saying this, but apparently being an Australian seeking employment in Singapore isn't such a great thing....






We Aussie's are allegedly so 'chilled' and 'laid back' that employers here fear we will not be able to cope with the high demand work culture or working hours!





Coming from working in a high demand, high pressure and sometimes downright insane workplace - working anywhere from 9 - 14 hour days... forgive me if I find this a little offensive... not to mention disappointing. From both a personal and professional prospective!

Aside from the apparent work culture differences, 'lack of local experience' seems to be the next key issue. The thing is... if no one will give you a chance, how do you get the local experience?

Regardless, are the mechanics of the job not the same? Doesn't changing jobs in any country or industry involve a learning curve? New job = new company strategies and procedures, new markets, new customers, new products!?

If I am told one more time how 'amazing' my resume is and how 'my years of experience is terrific' but not local so 'don't expect an interview'... I might lose it...

Then we have the dollars... and this is where the real fun starts!

Good news for foreigners being offered a relocation package from home - 45% of expats in Singapore earn more than $200K per year. Considering Singapore has steadily been welcoming about 100,000 expats annually - That's a lot of highly paid professionals!

Sadly for locals the average annual salary is less than $29K! Unfortunately for expats who have relocated over without employment - many positions advertised fall into this category!

Salaries for marketing roles advertised during the past 6 months (all levels) appear to reflect (on average) less than half of what the someone would earn back home in a similar position. Not to mention a serious reduction in employment benefits.

It's strange. It's disappointing. Is it worth it?

Of course, this is why networking and keeping in touch with contacts back home is so important! It might just be one of those connections that lands you in your dream 'expat' position! (Here's hoping!)

I'm ever so lucky that we are currently in a position where I haven't had to 'settle' and can keep looking for a job that ticks most, if not all, the boxes.

Being from the country, I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty looking - so for now, the hunt continues!

A hard working Aussie! x

6 comments:

  1. I'm from the US, and am currently looking for work here in Singapore too. My husband works and thankfully we can do without me working, but I'm getting bored and would really like to get a job. I'm having the same trouble finding a job.

    I have a pretty decent resume, but no one has called me back. Also, even at my last job, which I got fresh out of college (i.e. really shitty pay), I was making way more than some of the comparable jobs I'm looking at here.

    I feel your pain. Glad you haven't had to settle for any old job yet. Good luck with the job search!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jobs in SG tend to pay lower than the States or Australia, with much lower benefits as well, so keep your expectations low. And depending on the position you are looking for it is really not justifiable to employ a highly qualified expat because there are certain levy charges to pay for employing foreigners <- but don't quote me on this~

    It will be easier if it is a niche profession where staffing is hard to come by locally. If it is any consolation to you 2 I'm also having a hard time finding a job with my MSc, 5 languages, foreign exposure... blah blah blah~

    Good luck job-hunting~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm from the UK and have been in Singapore since last July and have encountered exactly the same problems. Luckily as Flora commented my fiance works and we can manage without me working but I would still like to get back into work again.

    As well as the lack of local experience or Asian experience being an issue for me I also find that as I what did in the UK is something that a lot of locals can do just as well (and as WhiteDuskRed said is not a niche profession) this goes against me too. I know a lot of others in exactly the same position but we just have to keep trying and networking etc.

    Good luck to you hope something comes along soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys, it's good to know we're not alone!
    Here's hoping we all find something suitable soon! Happy hunting! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Hunting to you my friend but..... I'M sure this blog could now be filled with crazy things you see, hear smell and touch here ??
    Get writing again ?
    lol
    Have a good day

    jjx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know how it feels to be unemployed. I am from New Zealnad, been here since August 2010.

    But like Flora and Laura, my better half is working, and we can manage, but it is getting a little boring.

    Let's hope something comes up for us soon.

    ReplyDelete