Sunday, May 15, 2011

White elegance


Mention tanning products or the fact that you enjoy laying in the sun to Singaporean's and don't be surprised by the strange look people will give you.

I can't tell you how many conversations I have had with taxi drivers over hot sunny weather...

Taxi driver - very hot today isn't it? 
Me - Yes isn't it lovely! :) 
Taxi driver - too hot...
Me - I love the sun and the heat, I would rather be hot than cold any day! 
Taxi driver - really? Where you from?  (ah he's onto me, he knows I'm not a local! :p)
Me - Australia
Taxi driver -  ah... (click... It all makes sense now!)

Or over miserable raining weather.... Like earlier this week...

Me - Heavy rain... :(
Taxi driver - yes, jam very bad (like in Aus, when it rains everyone drives like a granny)... Good though, it has been very hot the past few days. Cooler....
Me - I prefer the sun...
Taxi driver - really? Where you from?  (ah he's onto me, he knows I'm not a local! :p)
Me - Australia
Taxi driver -  ah... (click... It all makes sense now!)

Bless them. 

Meanwhile, a 'cool' day is still upward of 28 degrees so...? :p

Here it isn't uncommon to see most people (women in particular) walking around with umbrellas shading themselves on a hot day. A strange thing for an Aussie like me to comprehend... 

I have grown up spending hours out in the sun, whether it be playing sport, walking, shopping, sun-baking at the beach, picnicing... god, any opportunity we get to be outdoors catching a few rays and getting a tan, we're there in a heart beat! From when we were kids, we were pushed to play outside from the second the sun came up, returning home only when the sun was setting and dinner would be on the table! (Yes, this was prior to Playstation, Wii and the Internet BUT in saying that, even now, back home in country towns (and no doubt some cities), kids are still pushed to be outdoors when the weather is 'nice')...

The umbrella thing to me is just odd... I confess I, like most Singaporeans, carry an umbrella on me at all times, but in case of rain! not to shield me from the beautiful sun! Doesn't it make you hotter for starters? That and a little sun is good for you right? Vitamin D baby! :)

The crazy thing to me is it's not really that people are concerned about getting skin cancer (something that is widely acknowledged and a big concern in Australia). It is the fact that they believe white skin to be more attractive! This is reinforced by the rows and rows of whitening products readily available at all supermarkets, hell even convenience stores and markets! Not like the sunscreen and tanning products in our aisles back home! 

Now, each to there own... But really? 

It's not just the Singaporeans though, this seems to be a common Asian mentality - my hubby's parents think along the same lines. Being of South Indian decent, they have (what I consider) BEAUTIFUL dark skin... They don't agree and avoid the sun as much as they can, so as not to get any 'darker'. 

Malaysian, Japanese, Chinese and Korean friends I have here and now i think of it, even back home, are always making comments about how lovely white skin is - they too avoid the sun when they can. 

I remember being in Cambodia last year and Thailand the year before and seeing most people in 40 degree heat in longs sleeves. Our guide in Thailand wore a long sleeve top AND a fleece hoodie over the top! When we asked her 'aren't you hot?! Why are you wearing that? she replied. 'Not really. It is important I keep my skin white, here we believe the whiter the skin, the more beautiful. I am not married yet, so I especially need to take care.'.. WOW! That's if you don't pass out from heat exhaustion first! Talk about taking measures to the extreme!

It makes me sad that these women need to be uncomfortable, in order to make society happy... BUT actually, the fact is they are also making themselves happy... They have the same beliefs. They are doing what they need to do to feel beautiful - like we all do! 

I am sure it is no surprise and you have picked up on the fact that I love a tan. I think everyone looks better with a bit of colour :) I look ill if I don't have colour! (really I do). In winter in Aus, I will get spray tans just to 'feel' good about myself... Before my wedding I even went to the extreme of going to the solarium... (def not something I endorse... But I felt it was necessary, my husband is so dark, I already look like a snowflake next to him!) 

It is so fascinating how different cultures find different things attractive, acceptable, 'normal' and how no matter how many people you talk too, no matter how many opinions you hear, how many 'reasons' you are given as to why they believe as they do, you just can't shake your own beliefs - what you grew up with, what is normal to you and your 'home'. 

Bottom line, I will still chuckle when I pass the whitening products in the supermarket or when I see women out with umbrellas on a sunny day BUT if we were all the same, liked the same things, found the same things attractive, wow... The world would be a pretty boring place! 

S x

1 comment:

  1. .... love the expression snowflake!!

    Yes, I was one that was outside all day everyday and had to have the glorious suntan... even when I first came to Singapore nearly 5 years ago I was outside as much as possible .... but now I have had over 50 cancers taken off my hands / arms and face I know I have to be a 'snowflake'.

    I go past the skin care places that offer whitening ... and they all try the sales pitch that can 'take off those horrible brown spots" I have all over me .... sorry, they stay ON ... they are not horrible brown spots, they are freckles AKA sun kisses!

    All I have left of my sunshiny days.

    And recently I have even started to use the umbrella to keep the sun off my face / arms etc .... I know it looks ODD .... but I have no choice any longer ... not to mention my mother died in January of skin cancer on her face. :-(

    So when you see me walk by with the umbrella up and the sun is shining .... do stop and say hello so we can have a good laugh together even if I do look rather odd.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete