Wednesday, October 13, 2010

First impressions count

So.. I arrive in Singapore in late July for a 10 day reconnaissance mission (quite pointless really, given we had already made the call to move... and started all the respective relocation tasks... ) Anyhow... we stayed near Suntec City (close to hubby's office). THANK GOD the concierge at the PanPacific was so amazing and helpful! He gave me suggestions for meals, day and night activities and shopping hot spots. Hubby was working like a trooper so I had to occupy myself for breakfast, lunch and dinner...

Weather:
Everyone warned me about the heat and the humidity.. It didn't bother me! I spent my days and nights walking around outside and loving it. It sure beat the chills of Sydney. I found the best people watching on the streets of Orchard Road...

Orchard Road: 
Wow...
Women on Orchard dress like they have stepped out of a magazine. People watching is fab - a great mix of locals and expats all donning designer apparel, hand bags and shoes.
I sent my husband a text within 30 minutes of walking the street jokingly asking if we had a spare $10K to spend. Seriously, whilst there are many many stores within a reasonable budget, there are also what seems like hundreds of designer stores calling you with their breathtaking window displays, signage and collections - Dior, Chanel, Armani, Gucci, Cartier... and the list goes on! Not to mention, there are multiple stores within minutes walk of each other! I don't know how the survive... oh wait... this is Singapore...

Shopping on Orchard Road was my first eye opener to the role shopping plays here. It is crazy.

Shopping (in general):
I found many of the shopping centres confusing... they don't seem to have the same 'flow' as shopping centres in Sydney... for this reason, I didn't enjoy shopping all that much. I felt lost, constantly wondering around trying to work out where I was and if there was anything worth looking at... I did in time stumble across a few fabulous sales staff though, they certainly brightened my mood. I have to give particular mention to a lovely lady that assisted me in PARCO, a section in Mellenia Walk that showcases local designers work. I picked up a couple of unique tops *love*. I also scored some cute shoes - Charles and Keith :)
The only thing about the shoes... is most aren't leather - I think the idea is, buy cheap, buy more and keep up with the fashion - so get rid of it when it goes out of style... I can deal with that (to a degree) but will still be hunting for some classic leathers!

The Esplanade:
Marina Bay is stunning by night and has a great buzz about it. People seem to enjoy heading down to the waters edge for a beverage or two (even though the prices are WAY up on Sydney). Being on my own, I enjoyed walking along the waters edge path and eating out at the open air food centre - prices there are cheap (for the area) - the chicken satay sticks were a highlight :)

MRT:
Wow! I had to think hard about how I would cope if I ever had to use public transport in Sydney again... What an amazing system - cheap, fast, easy to use and reliable... the stations are air-conditioned and super super clean - You could eat off the floor! or not... be mindful that you cannot eat or drink on the platform... the fine is something like $500-$1000... I saw this warning sign, as I was taking a sip from my freshly squeezed juice... Eek!

Little India:
My hubby is Indian and I am a big fan of Indian clothes (and food) so I was very keen to get to Little India. It was everything I expected and more. This is a place that I am still keen to explore further - it just goes on and on - Jeweler, clothes store, food outlet, restaurant, jeweler, clothes store, beautician, jeweler.... It was a hot day of shopping - I wouldn't recommend going on hot days - most stores don't have aircon, or at least the aircon isn't very strong, so trying clothes on can get a little sticky...
For great vegetarian food, I had recommended to me and would now recommend to others ' Komala Vilas' - masala dosai is delish :)

Night Safari:
I know... such a tourist, but it was recommended by the hotel AND my cousin, so couldn't go wrong.. well not terribly wrong anyhow! Scammed hubby into going on a Saturday. The animals, buffet dinner and enclosures were great.. You basically eat, then board a 'train' which takes you through the park - an announcer educating on the animals as the train passes. You also have the opportunity to get off the train and walk around, to get more 'up close and personal' with the animals... this was highly recommended  BUT  I would say... NOT on a Saturday. It was so busy and we spent what felt like hours waiting to get back on the 'train' after we had disembarked... overall it was a unique and memorable experience.   

Apartment hunting:
This is how I spent most of my days... oh the joy! Far out. A good way to get to know your way around Singapore though - if you have a good real estate agent - like I did (Thanks Charles!).
Long days, a million photos later and wowzer is renting expensive in Singapore!

All in all, the trip was great - I had the blessing of encountering lovely people, enjoying great food and service and exploring on my own without getting lost or feeling unsafe.

First impressions...
Clean
Safe
Friendly
Efficient
Warm :)

I can live here....

No comments:

Post a Comment