Thursday, October 14, 2010

Weekender...

Usually when you think about a weekend away, it involves a quick trip followed by endless relaxation and 'time out'...

I just returned from a weekend away.... in Australia.
Yes, I flew from Singapore to Sydney on Friday night and made the return trip on Monday... oh the joy!

Why? Impeccable timing! Hubby's best mate got married (an event we couldn't miss) - so even though we had JUST moved, JUST signed the lease on a place and in my case JUST started to find my feet... we made the trek back home - for the weekend.

Take a seat. Itinerary and highlights to follow!

Depart (Friday):
8.30pm
After 6 hours of sleep on Thursday night and a full day of gallivanting and shopping on Friday.

Arrive (Saturday):
Plane lands in Sydney at 6.55am (Note: NO sleep on the flight.... feeling and looking like hell)

The most beautiful friend in the world (Elle) picked me up from the airport, greeting me with a welcome home sign - wow! seriously! My first sign EVER - totally made my morning :)

Shower: 
Much needed refresh and WAKE UP!

Breakie:
Breakfast in Brighton le Sands with 2 beautiful friends who made the effort to get up early on a Saturday morning - they couldn't live with themselves if they didn't come and see me knowing I was only in town for 2 days (that's what I'm telling myself anyway!)
3 chai lattes, 2 glasses of water and a serious plate of food later I am still struggling to keep my eyes open... PUSH ON WOMAN!

Lunch:
My AMAZING family (mum, dad and co) drove 4 hours to come and see me - for lunch! (My family still live on the north coast of NSW). Seeing them and hanging out for the few hours they were in town immediately made the whole trip worth while!
Lunch for me - 2 cups of Earl Grey tea and 2 glasses of water... 
I also scored a fabulous house warming gift from my cousin - much love Bob x

Chillax: 
Before heading 'out' again I needed some time out (just not too much, so as to put me to sleep!). The perfect remedy... My brother in law makes a killer cup of tea! (6 in one day isn't bad is it??)

Dinner & bullshit:
Not what you're thinking...
Bullshit is a fabulous game of cards - even better if you have relos like mine!
My cousin put on a amazing spread for dinner - BBQ chicken, potato bake, salad, sides... not to mention antipasto prior - yumo!
I brought the wine ;)

Sleep, glorious sleep:
10.30pm - I hit the pillow like Mundine hit Soliman.

Breakfast/Brunch/lunch (Sunday):
9.30am the wedding kicks off! A formal affair, everyone dressed to the nines. The ladies are rocking out Summer evening dresses and I am in my high-neck winter coat (clearly my body had acclimatised to Singas already...)

Far from my usual Sunday morning! Decorated marquee, antipasto platters, bread, scotch, vodka/cranberry and beer. Wowzer! Yes, it was a Macedonian wedding :P

10am - 12pm - Loads of dancing and drinking, as well as shaving the groom (with an axe) and baking bread - followed by more dancing and drinking!

Something I found crazy is the band doesn't get paid to be there! Rather they are paid by tips from the guests! This goes for the reception too! (Note: going to a Macedonian wedding - cash up on the way!)

After a catered lunch we said farewell to the best man as he set off to deliver the bride her shoes.

I loved all the customs, like our Hindu wedding the year before, I found the cultural things are what makes the wedding different and interesting.

Wedding ceremony & reception: 
2.30pm - 4.00pm - wedding ceremony
4.30pm - 5.30pm - me frantically getting ready for the reception - dress, hair and make up change!! Yep, the Macedonians go all out. I bought a hot Charlie Brown dress for the occasion.
Thank you Elle (also Macedonian) for your advice and amazing talents yet again (hair and make up).
6.15pm - we hit the reception.
6.30pm - 12pm - More food, more dancing and a lot more drinking!

Sleep glorious sleep! 
2am-ish...

Bye bye (Monday)
Semi sleep in, breakfast and another fabulous brother in law cup of tea.

The dilemma... to sleep on the plane or go for the twilight marathon?

The marathon won for 2 reasons...
Firstly, if I slept I was concerned I wouldn't sleep Monday night when I got 'home' (Singas).
Secondly, EDWARD! Hello!.... and maybe a hint of Jacob with no shirt....

Yes I am a Twihard... as far as I am concerned it was the ONLY way to end my weekender on a high!

No comments:

Post a Comment