Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Shopping like a local

When I entered Little India's Tekka wet market for the first time, I was not surprised by the wet floors and interesting aromas coming from the many stalls. I expected this. In fact I expected THAT part to be a whole lot worse... From what some locals had told me, most expats don't tend to shop at the 'wet market's' as "the absence of air conditioning, wet floors, terrible smells and dirty surrounds are not appreciated..." wow... Boy are THOSE expats missing out!

So, I am beginning to sense that the locals (in particular, taxi drivers) have very stereotypical ideas on what expats like and as such, are giving me advise and guidance that encourages me to stay clear of what I am beginning to think are some of  Singapore's most fabulous places!

The smells of the wet market (to me) were welcoming, telling you before you turn a corner what is awaiting you in the next aisle... Tub after tub after tub of fresh vegetables, row after row of juicy colourful fruit, an array of different meat stalls, with everything from Mutton and lamb to chicken and beef, buckets of powdered spices, packets of lentils and other Indian cooking must haves and of course tables and tables filled to the brim with cold ice and fresh seafood.

I came to Little India's market because I needed to get some spices (I figured it would be a good place to start!), it is also the only market in Singapore that is open ALL day - so from around 7am - 9pm. Not all stalls are open all day, but essentially, anything you need, you will be able to get. (Of course - for the freshest produce and the 'pick of the crop' I am told you are best to go EARLY - which for Singaporeans is before 9am, god I love this country!). 

I found the people in the market to be super friendly, though I am still trying to work out if this is just a case of 'white Aussie girl in the middle of a predominantly Indian market' or if that is just how the people are there? Quite frankly, I don't care! Big smiles, everywhere you turn, everyone happy to have a chat (perfect for me! I'm sure those of you who know me are nodding... ), they cut your meat and will even fillet your fish on the spot! (Of course, the guys were quite sad at the fact that I did not wish to keep the fish head...)

Look at the below and tell me you can't SEE the freshness, IMAGINE the smells and want to EXPERIENCE this!

 

 
So what did I bring home?

Grapes, mangoes, limes, kiwi fruits, tomatoes, snake beans, snow peas, carrots, chillies, Chinese veges, okra,  potatoes, curry leaves, coriander, spices, gee, flour, lentils... yumo! 
 





In terms of prices, vegetables, meat and spices are cheap - fruit and seafood, not so much BUT they are MUCH cheaper and MUCH fresher that anything you will find in a local supermarket.  

Something new to me, and rather fascinating about Singapore is the fact that almost everything is imported (the country itself is too small to cater to fields and animals), in fact, most meat and dairy comes from Australia! From what I have seen, fruit and veg tends to come mainly from neighboring countries like Malaysia and Thailand, whilst seafood can come from as far as Europe! 

I left Little India Tekka wet market calculating how quickly we would eat the produce I just purchased - so I could plan a return trip ASAP :)

Since this adventure I have found another wet market a little closer to home (Whampoa) though it, like most wet market's in Singapore is only open in the morning from around 8am - 12pm. I will be making a trip very soon!

Here's hoping it too exceeds my expectations!

No comments:

Post a Comment