Monday, November 1, 2010

Food glorious food?

Singapore is like being stuck in a mall that is filled with candy stores, bakeries & fast food outlets...

The temptation of unhealthy food is everywhere and it is SO cheap... it haunts you... Every shopping centre, hokka centre, the streets, the supermarket... and what's more, the majority of locals eat out EVERY day, so the social environment doesn't encourage you to eat well or eat at home!

Or if you do decide to eat at home, you can always order McDonald's or KFC home delivery! 24/7!

What appears to be a local favourite is fried chicken wings. My god, I have never seen so many chicken wings consumed in my life! Everyone here LOVES them! and everywhere here seems to serve them!
Hokka centres, food courts, bars, pubs even IKEA! and what's more, it is considered a 'side dish', so... 6 people are sitting at a table with their actual meal in front of them (rice + something... in HUGE portions) and then, they may have up to 4 plates of fried chicken wings (average 8 per plate) in the middle of the table for everyone to share! OMG!

The Singaporeans are thin, yes, but they can't have good cholesterol levels.. surely!?....

In the supermarket I can't even explain the depth of processed foods, sweet bread, snacks, lollies, chocolate, biscuits, spreads, dairy snacks, local sweets & ice cream... actually... when I really think about it, I'm not sure if there actually is more junk than in Australia, or if it is just the fact that there are less healthy options and the supermarkets are smaller, so it looks like it is filled head to toe with sugar treats, but in fact it's not?

All I know is, I NEVER bought naughty snacks when living in Sydney (I wouldn't even walk in that aisle), but here it is unavoidable! Every aisle is filled with them! I just came back from the supermarket here with Tim Tams, Ritz crackers, sweet biscuits, nutella and BBQ chicken buns! Ridiculous!

I think from now on I am going to attempt to do my shopping online - so as to avoid temptation!

No comments:

Post a Comment