Thursday, November 4, 2010

Little India

Walking the streets of Little India has become (by no real surprise) one of my favourite things to do. I love the people, the culture, the food, the sounds and smells of this district.

My first trip to the amazing place was one to remember... hot, 30+ and humid, the cotton outfit I'd selected to wear (specifically to be comfortable and as cool as possible) was sticking to me, sweat dripping down my back... Serangoon Road, a road I thought I could cover in 15 minutes seemed to never end. (I still haven't covered the entire street, let alone the whole district!) I shopped my heart out, made a few friends (shop keepers that 'took' to me) and had the most amazing masala dosai and chai. I was planning my next trip before I'd even left :P

Shop windows are filled with draped sari's and outfits; their sparkle and colour draw your attention, copious jewelers showcasing rows and rows of yellow gold jewellery worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, bargain outlets where you can find just about anything for under $10, beauty salons that offer standard treatments along with henna hair treatments, threading and mehndi.

There are restaurants, music stores, tailors and money exchange outlets. A 7/11 and 24 hour shopping centre! The air smells of spices and incense and the narrow foot paths are filled with local shoppers and tourists (often spilling out onto the street, due to lack of space).

The sound of the latest bollywood tracks or classical favourites follow you where ever you go and then right in the middle of all the chaos, the Sri Vadapathira Kaliamman temple, a beautiful structure that took my breath away.

I haven't yet been lucky enough to travel to India itself, so for me this is as close as I have come - and this taste, only leaves me wanting more.

No comments:

Post a Comment